Friday, April 16, 2010

Planning a Visit to Kenya

Thought I'd write with a quick update on how things are progressing.

I'm getting very excited for my parents to come spend ten days visiting me here in May. We're planning to do all the touristy stuff you can do in Kenya ... a safari in the Masai Mara, a trip to Nakuru in the breath-taking Rift Valley province, seeing some sites around Nairobi etc. I'm also planning to introduce them to people at OAIC, and possibly take them to visit one of the OAIC groups I've mentioned at other points in my blog. I feel like it's important for visitors coming to places like Kenya to see all sides of the spectrum-- to balance being a tourist with just being a traveler who is there to meet people in a genuine way, learning from them as well as teaching. Kenya is a very complex country as you probably already know, or have picked up from reading my earlier postings. I can't wait to show my parents at least a portion of what is here. After now having nailed down most of the arrangements, I can relax and just look forward to their arrival in less than a month!

Other than getting excited about my parents' visit, I've just been working...working...working. I've been busy writing OAIC's first quarterly newsletter, and also designing a fundraising brochure to send out to our international partners. Hopefully I will get out of the office soon, either with a trip to Uganda to visit AIC's there, or to visit local groups around Nairobi. I hate being couped up in the office when there is so much life and activity going on outside.

Take care and always remember to be in touch :)

2 comments:

  1. Not Fair! I should be visiting! Not sure why I'm not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't know why either, Chris! Wish you were coming too.

    ReplyDelete